King and Queen County offers residents a variety of ways to pay taxes and fees online, over the phone, or in person using credit cards, debit cards, checks or cash.
Credit Card Payments
The King and Queen County Treasurer’s Office accepts Visa and Mastercard credit cards for payment of the following taxes either online, or by telephone through a third-party vendor, Official Payments, who accepts all major credit cards.
- Personal Property taxes
- Real Estate taxes
- A convenience fee is added per debit or credit card transaction.
- For other types of payments, such as court costs or building permit or inspection fees, please visit their respective County web pages.
Offering Convenience and Flexibility
Enjoy the convenience, flexibility, and rewards of credit card payments for taxes or fees. In cooperation with the King and Queen County, Official Payments Corporation offers individuals and businesses the opportunity to pay taxes or fees by telephone or directly over the Internet.
Proven Safe and Reliable
This service is safe, reliable, and in accordance with all state and government regulations. In order to process your payment, Official Payments Corporation, the credit card service provider, charges a nominal convenience fee based on the amount of the transaction.
Easy Payments via Phone or Internet
To pay by credit card call the toll-free number 800-2PAY-TAX (or 800-272-9829) or visit the Official Payments Corporation website at www.officialpayments.com to pay taxes by credit card over the Internet. You will be asked to enter information such as:
- Your Jurisdiction Code, which is 6221 for King and Queen County
- The type of tax or fee
- A bill or invoice number
- Your credit card information
- The amount of the tax or fee payment
The system will tell you:
- The total of your payment, including the appropriate fee
- Obtain approval of the charge
- Provide you with a confirmation number. Be sure to write down your confirmation number as a record of your payment. The charge will also appear on your credit card statement with the tax amount on one line and the convenience fee amount on a separate line.
Please note: A 3.15% fee of the amount paid is charged for each payment made through Official Payments Corporation. These fees are paid to Official Payments Corporation for the cost of providing this service. King and Queen County does not retain any portion of this fee.
Paying by Mail or in Person
You can look on the back of your tax bill and see the other ways to pay local taxes:
- Pay taxes in person at the King and Queen County Courthouse using the locked drop box
- Pay taxes at the banks listed on your bill
- Pay taxes by mail
- Call the Treasurer’s Office and pay taxes over the phone with a credit card
Paying in Person at the Locked Drop Box
As you enter the King and Queen County Courthouse building, at the entrance to the Sheriff’s Office is a locked drop box. You have the ability to enter the building and use this drop box 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
To leave a payment at the drop box, do the following:
- Tear off the bottom part of the tax bill.
- Include a check or money order. Do not leave cash.
- Put the above items in the enclosed envelope that came in your bill. Seal the envelope and put your name and telephone number on the outside of the envelope (just in case we need to contact you).
- Place the envelope in the drop box.
We will process those payments and mail each taxpayer a receipt so that you know your payments were processed.
Paying in Person at the Treasurer’s Office
If you wish to pay in person at the Treasurer’s Office, please stop by Suite H during regular business hours (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday). We accept cash, checks and Visa and Mastercard credit cards. The convenience fee is 2.5%. These fees are paid to Card Payment Solutions for the cost of providing this service. King and Queen County does not retain any portion of this fee.
Paying by Mail
Please use the envelope provided to mail your check or money order and payment stub to our office. Our mailing address is:
King and Queen County Treasurer – Payments
P.O. Box 98
King and Queen County C.H., VA 23085
Please allow sufficient time for the payment to arrive in our office ahead of any due date.